With young children and small pets in a home, it is essential to have kid safe window treatments. The wrong window treatment is something that can create disaster, and once a disaster occurs, sometimes it is irreversible. For instance, curtains are something that children can tangle themselves up in, causing choking. Cords are another threat to children as they can also choke themselves in the cord. We urge Australian families with children and small pets to consider the following tips from Blind Inspiration in window treatments.
How to Make Window Coverings Safer for Kids and Small Pets
- Replace your old curtains or blinds with cordless blinds or shades.
- Check your existing window coverings to ensure there are no cords that are easy for your child to get their hands on posing a threat of strangulation to young children and infants. If your cords are a strangulation hazard, the cords can be replaced with cordless safer products. Some preferred window options that are considered child safe are shutters and roller shades and cordless cellular.
- If installing new products is out of the question, be certain that each window cords are concealed so that they are not in sight or reach of your young ones. Having your cords inaccessible to your little ones will help to ensure their safety.
- Move your children’s cribs, furnitures, beds, and toys away from the windows and window cords. It is best to have your children’s beds and furniture on a wall that doesn’t have windows.
- This will help eliminate the curiosity of crawling up on their furniture to play in the coverings or get tangled up in the cords. Having the cribs, furniture, beds and toys away from the windows and window cords will ensure they don’t have a stepping stool to reach the window and cords.
- Continuous loop pull cords on blinds and draperies need to be tightly pulled and securely anchored to the wall or floor with a tensioning device.
It is important that blinds in a home with children have the installation of blind stops that are properly installed as well as adjusted so that movement is limited on the shades and blinds inner cords.
There is one simple rule to remember when you have children in your Melbourne or Sydney home. Children and window cords do not mix. Window cords can pose a serious threat for children as a curiosity of the child can lead to finding a new excitement that ends up in the strangulation of the child. At Blind Inspiration, we are committed to safe household, ensuring our customer with young children have the information and window covering products they need to make their window treatments child safe.
We offer kid safe window treatments for both newer and older homes with children. All parents must realise that the threat of strangulation due to window cords is real. Statistics shows that each month a child ranging from the ages of seven months and 10 years dies from strangulation due to window cords, and another child will suffer from near death strangulation. Be safe. Contact Blind Inspiration for child safe window coverings for child safe window coverings.
Contact Us Today
For more information on kid safe window products, contact Blind Inspiration today. We offer a wide range of quality products safe for homes with children at affordable prices. We welcome you to contact us through our site or by calling the number below. When quality counts and life matters, we are the Australian window covering company to contact.
Call us at 1300 925 463